In card games, such as Texas Hold’em poker or Blackjack, the term hand refers to the cards held by a player. The player’s starting hand plays an important part in their success as it largely determines if a player wins the bet or losses it.
Casino Terms Relating to a Player’s Hand:
- Garbage hand: the result of being dealt bad cards, which will largely result in a loss.
- Hard hand: in blackjack, when you hold two cards that do not contain an ace;
- Stiff hand: blackjack cards valued between 12 and 16;
- Standing hand: blackjack cards that will likely bust if another card is drawn;
- Soft hand: a blackjack hand containing an ace.
- The cards dealt to and held by a player.